Our commitment to privacy:
- What is “personal information”? Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual.
Children: If you are under the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence, be sure to obtain your parent or guardian's permission before you send any personal information to us, or anyone else. If you are a parent or guardian and believe we may have your child’s personal information without your consent, contact us immediately using the information under “Contact us” below.
What personal information we collect, and why
We collect personal contact information (such as your name, address, email address and telephone numbers) if you: sign up for a newsletter; subscribe to a newspaper; sign up to receive electronic messages, including by email or SMS; register on an online forum or website, or to attend a paid event; download and use one of our mobile applications or register on a mobile application; purchase any product or service from Sing Tao; are a classified advertiser or auction participant; or provide it to us when you attend a trade or consumer show. This information is used to fulfill your request for information, products or services, to provide targeted advertising, and to respond to your inquiries. From time to time this information may be used to provide reward points or apply credit, as applicable in the circumstances.
We will retain your login information to allow you to login to our Sites and so that upon request by you we may remind you of them.
If you enter a contest or other promotion, we collect and use your personal contact information to administer the contest or promotion including contacting, announcing and promoting prizewinners, and responding to your inquiries. In addition, sometimes our contest rules provide that we may contact contest entrants with promotions and product information. Those rules will also include a way for you to indicate to us that you do not want to be contacted for this purpose. Some contests may also involve co-sponsors, who have their own privacy practices. In these cases, the contest rules and/or entry forms will indicate that your personal information is also being collected by these co-sponsors and will provide you with the ability to opt-out from receiving promotions and product information from them.
We may collect demographic information, and may use this information along with your personal contact information in order to gain a better understanding of your interests so that we may improve our products and services and develop new products and services, update you about our products services, and to determine your eligibility for other products and services. In addition, we may use this information to provide you with more targeted offers, advertising, information and content (including offers and other information that has been supplied to us by our affiliates and selected sponsors or advertisers), including on websites you visit ("Marketing Offers"). If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the opt-out procedure below.
We maintain transactional information (such as purchase or subscription history, a list of promotions offered to you, and contests entered) in order to fulfill your request for information, products or services, to respond to your inquiries, and to provide a more personalized experience on our Sites.
We keep notes and special instructions for classified advertisers and subscribers to help us fulfill your request and provide customer service. We may record or monitor your telephone calls with our customer service representatives for training, quality assurance, and dispute resolution purposes. We may also keep records of your interactions with our customer service team, and will use this information to fulfill your request for information, products or services, to respond to your inquiries, to improve our products and services and develop new products and services, to contact you about changes, enhancements or other notices related to products or services you requested from us or which Sing Tao provides, or to provide you with Marketing Offers.
We collect your credit card information if you: subscribe to a newspaper; register on a paid Site; register to attend a paid event; purchase any product from Sing Tao or through one of our Sites; are a classified advertiser or an auction participant. This credit card information is used for the purpose of fulfilling your order or processing refunds or applying credit, if applicable.
If you choose to opt out of any optional use of your personal information, such as for Marketing Offers, we will keep your contact information and details with respect to your choice on a list so that your request can be honoured, and we may retain your information to fulfill legal or regulatory obligations or for other purposes permitted by law. If you provide a complaint to any of our departments, we will collect your contact information and the nature of your complaint, for the purpose of investigating your concerns and responding to you.
If you provide freelance or other services to us, we may collect your social insurance number for tax reporting purposes and your contact information in order to pay you.
We may use your personal information for the purposes of: managing, administering, collecting or otherwise enforcing your accounts; maintaining business records for reasonable periods of time and generally managing and administering our business; and meeting all relevant Canadian and international regulatory, legal, insurance, audit, security and processing requirements.
Occasionally, we ask our customers to complete market research surveys. If you choose to participate in these surveys and provide your personal information for that purpose, your information will be aggregated as part of the survey results and shared with our advertisers, sponsors and affiliates in a manner that does not identify you. However, your information will also be used by us to gain a better understanding of your interests so that we may develop new products and services, to determine your eligibility for other products and services, and, unless you opt out, to provide you with Marketing Offers.
Cookies and online behavioural advertising
If you are concerned about cookies, please review and adjust your web browser preferences. However, please be aware that by disabling cookies, you may not be able to use all portions of our Sites, particularly pages requiring registration.
Our Sites may use Web beacon, gif or other technologies to better tailor and manage advertising on those sites. These technologies may be in use on a number of pages across web sites. When you access these pages, a notice of that visit is generated which may be processed by us or by our suppliers.
Many of our Sites use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit the site. These companies may use information (such as web pages you visit and your response to ads, but not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you. Some ads appearing on our Sites are delivered to you by AdTech, which is a web advertising company. These third parties may, from time to time, use information that they collect about your visits to the Sites, such as the number of times you have viewed an ad (but not your name, address, email address or telephone number) to serve additional ads about goods and services that may be of interest to you. If you do not wish to have your information used in this way, please click on the following link: http://www.adtechus.com/cookie_opt-out/.
The following link has useful information about how to opt out of cookies that are placed by companies who are members of the Network Advertising Initiative Opt-Out: https://optout.networkadvertising.org/ . For more information on online behavioural advertising or to opt-out from other third-party advertising companies, visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada website at Your Ad Choices: https://youradchoices.ca/en/tools.
We use IP (internet protocol) addresses, to gather demographic and statistical information about our users, for systems administration and to diagnose problems with our servers, and to administer our Sites. We may also use IP addresses to display or allow our third party advertising providers to display more targeted advertising and content.
We may, from time to time, track and analyze de-identified usage and browsing patterns of visitors to our Sites to provide our advertisers with more targeted advertising opportunities and to help users see advertising that is most likely to interest them. We may use third party analytics service providers in order to gather such anonymous data on user behaviour.
We may combine personal information we have collected about you or received from you with publicly available records or with other third party information sources in order to better understand our customers and enhance our ability to provide you with products, services and Marketing Offers that may be of interest to you.
User-Generated Content. All information, calls, data, text, graphics, images, messages, reviews, opinions, suggestions or other materials created by users on any Site, including but not limited to its comment forums and chat boards, is public information and may be used and disclosed by Sing Tao in accordance with Sing Tao's Terms of Service. If you call into one of our radio stations or write into one of our newspapers, the contents of that communication could be made public.
Sharing your information
Sing Tao may transfer or disclose your personal information under the following circumstances:
- Use service providers. We may provide your information to trusted third parties to process it for us, based on our instructions and in compliance with this Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures. For example, we use service providers or other third parties to deliver and improve our products and services, manage our business, confirm newspaper deliveries, process and collect payments, and to deliver advertisements and monitor activities on our own website and other websites. We may also share your credit card information to ensure that your ongoing subscription to Sing Tao products and services is not interrupted.
- Marketing. To provide you with Marketing Offers, Sing Tao may disclose your personal contact information to affiliates and selected sponsors and advertisers. If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the opt-out procedure below.
- Business administration. We may transfer your personal information to our affiliates who provide internal audit, management, billing or administrative services on our behalf.
- Legal purposes. Sing Tao may disclose your personal information to third parties if we are investigating a violation of law or contract, if we need to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests, other legal and regulatory authorities, in order to protect or defend our legal interests, and as otherwise permitted or required by law.
- Sale of business. Sing Tao may disclose your personal information on a confidential basis to parties connected with the contemplated or actual financing, insuring, sale, assignment or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets, including for the purposes of determining whether to proceed or continue with such transaction or business relationship or fulfilling any records or other reporting requirements to such parties.
International transfers of your information
Note your information may be transmitted through, stored or processed in countries other than your home province or country, including the United States. This means that, just like in Canada, your information may be subject to law enforcement access under the laws of those countries.
Implied consent and Marketing Offer opt-out policy
If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time from receiving (i) Marketing Offers from Sing Tao or (ii) Marketing Offers from third parties by doing any of the following:
- Follow the instructions at the bottom of any email Marketing Offer you receive.
- Inform your telemarketer at the time you are called with a Marketing Offer.
- Call Marketing Department at 905-754-3288 and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
- Email Sing Tao at firstname.lastname@example.org and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
It may take 2-4 weeks to fully process your opt-out request.
Sing Tao has technical, contractual, administrative and physical security measures to protect your personal information in a manner that is reasonable and appropriate to the nature of the personal information you provide to Sing Tao. For example, when you provide credit card information to us, we work to help protect the security of your credit card information by using industry standard secure sockets layer (SSL) encryption technology.
Please be aware that email is not a secure medium, and any personal information you send to us by email could be intercepted. If your communication is very sensitive, you should not send it electronically unless the email is encrypted or your browser indicates that the access to our Site is secure. Credit card numbers should not be sent by email. Materials posted to online forums such as bulletin boards or comment sites are public, not secure and may be viewed by anyone. Any personal information you post may be collected and used by anyone and may result in unsolicited messages from other internet users. Sing Tao is not responsible for personal information you choose to post or submit in any online forum on any of its Sites.
We retain your personal information only as long as necessary to provide our products and services to our customers or comply with our contracts with them, or for other legitimate purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, internal analytics, marketing, resolving disputes or enforcing our agreements. In some cases, this will be for the length of your relationship with us and several years afterwards. In other cases, the retention period may be shorter.
Access, correction, and deletion requests
Some of our Sites provide you with the means to access, update, edit or delete certain subscriber or registration information by going to the appropriate page on the Site and changing or deleting such information as desired.
In addition, you can request to access, correct or delete the information we hold about you by contacting us using the information under “Contact us” below. We will seek to comply with the request subject to any legal or practical limits. We may also need to confirm your identity to respond to the request. Here are some additional things to keep in mind:
- Access: If we cannot provide you with access to all the information you request, we will advise you of the reasons for the restriction subject to any legal or regulatory limitations.
- Correction: As we make decisions based on the information we have, we encourage you to help us keep your information up-to-date. If you think the information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, you can ask for amendments or additions to your information. We may require proof to verify the correction or determine that the correction should not be made.
- Deletion: Sometimes we may not be able to comply with a deletion request because we are legally required by contract or law to retain your information. There may be other occasions when we are legally entitled to refuse to delete the information.
If you have any privacy-related requests, questions or concerns, please contact Privacy Officer at: 905-754-3288, or email us at email@example.com.